1. Your rights in relation to privacy
SUB-TROPICAL DAIRY PROGRAMME LIMITED ABN 71 080 576 076 (Subtropical Dairy) understands the importance of protecting the privacy of an individual’s personal information. This statement sets out how Subtropical Dairy aims to protect the privacy of your personal information, your rights in relation to your personal information managed by Subtropical Dairy and the way Subtropical Dairy collects, holds, uses and discloses your personal information.
In handling your personal information, Subtropical Dairy will comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and with the 13 Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act. This policy statement may be updated from time to time.
2. What kinds of personal information does Subtropical Dairy collect?
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified, or reasonably identifiable, individual. During the provision of our services, Subtropical Dairy may collect your personal information.
Generally, the kinds of personal information Subtropical Dairy collects are your name, address, telephone number and email address. In some circumstances Subtropical Dairy may also hold other personal information provided by you.
3. How does Subtropical Dairy collect personal information?
Generally, Subtropical Dairy collects your personal information directly from you, through completion of a form, telephone enquiries or online applications and communications. There may be other occasions when Subtropical Dairy collects your personal information from other sources such as from an information services provider or a publicly maintained record. Generally, Subtropical Dairy will only collect your personal information from sources other than you if it is unreasonable or impracticable to collect the personal information from you.
4. Why does Subtropical Dairy need your personal information?
Subtropical Dairy collects, holds, uses and discloses your personal information where it is reasonably necessary for the purposes of: carrying out its business and operations as the services body for dairy farmers and the dairy industry. This includes:
- administering the dairy service levy, payable in accordance with applicable legislation and collected by dairy processors;
- undertaking surveys in relation to the dairy industry, your experience with Subtropical Dairy and/or products, services and issues related to the dairy industry;
- providing educational and awareness information about the dairy industry and dairy products;
- accounting, billing and other internal administrative purposes;
- identifying and informing you of resources, products services and/or issues that may be of interest or relevance to you;
- improving promotional and online services; and
- any other legal requirements.
Where personal information is used and disclosed, Subtropical Dairy first takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure the personal information is relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used or disclosed. You are under no obligation to provide your personal information to Subtropical Dairy. However, without certain information from you, Subtropical Dairy may not be able to provide its services to you.
5. Who does Subtropical Dairy disclose your personal information to?
Subtropical Dairy discloses your personal information for the purpose for which it is collected. That is, generally, Subtropical Dairy will only disclose your personal information for a purpose set out at paragraph 4. This may include disclosing your personal information to third parties engaged to perform administrative, promotional, research, information technology or other services. This disclosure is always on a confidential basis and subject to agreements prohibiting misuse of the personal information. Subtropical Dairy may also disclose your personal information with your consent or if disclosure is required or authorised by law.
6. Overseas disclosure
Subtropical Dairy may disclose personal information to overseas recipients for administrative or other business management purposes. Recipients of such disclosures are located in New Zealand, Ireland and the United States of America.
Before disclosing any personal information to an overseas recipient, Subtropical Dairy takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure the overseas recipient complies with the Australian Privacy Principles or is bound by a substantially similar privacy scheme unless you consent to the overseas disclosure or it is otherwise required or permitted by law.
7. Direct marketing
Subtropical Dairy may use and disclose your personal information in order to inform you of products and services that may be of interest to you. This may include providing you with information related to the dairy industry or other industries. In the event you do not wish to receive such communications, you can opt-out by contacting Subtropical Dairy via the contact details set out in paragraph 10 or through any opt-out mechanism contained in a communication.
8. Security of your personal information
Subtropical Dairy takes all steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that the personal information it holds is protected from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Subtropical Dairy holds personal information in both hard copy and electronic forms in secure databases on secure premises, accessible only by authorised staff.
Subtropical Dairy will destroy or de-identify personal information in circumstances where it is no longer required, unless Subtropical Dairy is otherwise required or authorised by law to retain the information.
9. Can you access and correct the personal information that Subtropical Dairy holds about you?
Subtropical Dairy takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure personal information it holds is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading. Under the Privacy Act, you have a right to access and/or seek correction of your personal information that is collected and held by Subtropical Dairy.
If at any time you would like to access or correct the personal information that Subtropical Dairy holds about you, or you would like more information on Subtropical Dairy’s approach to privacy, please contact Subtropical Dairy via the contact details set out in paragraph 10 below. Subtropical Dairy will grant access to the extent required or authorised by the Privacy Act or other law and take steps reasonable in the circumstances to correct personal information where necessary and appropriate.
To obtain access to your personal information:
• you will have to provide proof of identity. This is necessary to ensure that personal information is provided only to the correct individuals and that the privacy of others is protected;
• Subtropical Dairy requests that you be reasonably specific about the information you require; and
• Subtropical Dairy may charge you a reasonable administration fee, which reflects the cost to Subtropical Dairy, for providing access in accordance with your request.
If Subtropical Dairy refuses your request to access or correct your personal information, Subtropical Dairy will provide you with written reasons for the refusal and details of complaint mechanisms. Subtropical Dairy will also take steps reasonable in the circumstance to endeavour to provide you with access in a manner that meets your needs and the needs of Subtropical Dairy.
Subtropical Dairy will endeavour to respond to your request to access or correct your personal information within 30 days from your request.
10. How to contact us
For further information or enquiries regarding your personal information held by Subtropical Dairy, or if you would like to opt-out of receiving from Subtropical Dairy any promotional communications, please contact Subtropical Dairy’s Executive Officer at email@example.com, or calling +61 431 197 479.
11. Privacy complaints
Please direct all privacy complaints to Subtropical Dairy’s Executive Officer. At all times, privacy complaints:
- will be treated seriously;
- will be dealt with promptly;
- will be dealt with in a confidential manner; and
- will not affect your existing obligations or affect the commercial arrangements between you and Subtropical Dairy.
Subtropical Dairy’s Executive Officer will commence an investigation into your complaint. You will be informed of the outcome of your complaint following completion of the investigation. In the event that you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you may refer the complaint to the Federal Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.